King County has moved to Phase 2 of reopening. Learn more:

Information for Shoreline

What we do

We enforce rules and regulations that help make Shoreline neighborhoods safe and attractive.

Our process

  • When we receive a complaint, we begin an investigation.
  • If a violation does exist, we make contact with the resident and explain the violation to them. We will then work with the resident to help correct it.
  • By working with residents, we can usually fix the problem within thirty days. However, some problems are more complex and require more time.

Report a violation

  • To report a problem, you can call (206) 801-2700. You can also submit your concern online.
  • Your name, address, and telephone number are essential to a successful investigation.

Code Enforcement Program Information

Accessory Dwelling Unit: An Accessory Dwelling Unit (ADU) is a separate dwelling unit/apartment that can either be rented out or used by family provided owner occupancy is maintained. One, legally established ADU is allowed for each residential lot and can be located in the same structure as the main dwelling unit/house or in a detached structure.

Animals: The City of Shoreline has a contract with the King County Regional Animal Control.

Business License Information: Every business in the state must register with the State of Washington through the Department of Licensing. Visit the State's website for an application and more information.

Code Requirements: Know Your Code Requirements

Garbage and Recycling: General garbage and recycling information

Fences, Trellises, and Arbors: If your fence is six feet high or less, it may be built on the property line. No building permit is required, unless your property is located in an environmentally critical area.

Graffiti: Graffiti is a widespread issue that every community is confronted with, however, there are steps that can be taken to stop and prevent vandalism from reoccurring.

Home Repair Programs: City homeowners of all ages can qualify for a variety of repairs based on income and family size. Materials are provided at cost and there is a small charge for labor. Estimates are free and arrangements can be made.

Home Business / Occupation: The City of Shoreline requires a permit for conducting a business out of your home in any zoning district, with some exceptions. Businesses conducted out of a home are referred to as a home occupation. More specifically, a home occupation is: Any activity carried out for gain by a resident and conducted as a customary, incidental, and accessory use in the resident's dwelling unit.

Outdoor Lighting: Efficient outdoor lighting means that we all can save energy and money and still provide a safe and secure night time environment. Controlled, effective, and economical lighting at home or at a business will offer the same safety, security, and visibility you are used to, while saving you money and reducing wasted energy.

Parking / Vehicles: Yard Parking, Junked Vehicles, Oversized Vehicles, Abandoned Vehicles, etc..

Permit Exemptions: The various codes and ordinances adopted by the City of Shoreline define certain activities and/or structures that are exempt from permitting requirements.

Proactive Code Enforcement: Information on the Proactive Code Enforcement Program.

Re-Roofing: The International Building Code (IBC) Section 1510 and the International Residential Code (IRC) Section R907 require a building permit for re-roofing. City of Shoreline Ordinance 355 Section 3 exempts certain re-roofing projects from obtaining a permit.

Recycling: Where to Take It: Learn where to safely recycle items such as batteries, prescription medications, televisions, and more.

Right-of-Way Permits: Right-of-way is City property designated for use by the general public. This property is typically used for roads, sidewalks, bike lanes, alleys and utilities. The actual right-of-way is often wider than the paved or improved portion of the roadway.

Street Trees: Recommended Street Tree Planting List

Substandard Housing Issues: The City of Shoreline regulates minimum housing standards. Some issues of concern are unsafe building construction, lighting, ventilation, heat, electrical, plumbing, infestations.

Surface Water Drainage: Rainfall that lands on hard surfaces such as concrete, asphalt, or gravel does not soak into the ground. Surface water is rainfall that does not infiltrate into the ground or evaporate into the air and as a result flows over land. The intent of the adopted surface water drainage standards is to provide for control of the flow and quality of the surface water run-off.

Tree Removal: The City of Shoreline regulates tree removal in the various situations. The following information is intended to educate property owners and contractors of the general requirements regarding tree removal.

Wildlife Trappers: For problem wildlife control.