As of May 2020
We have started on work to reduce flooding along 25th Avenue NE near Ballinger Way NE. A plan for improvements was approved by City Council (see July 31, 2017, staff report):
- Daylight the creek. Ballinger Creek runs through pipes along 25th Avenue NE from Brugger’s Bog Park to NE 195th Street. Daylighting will restore an open channel creek in this area.
- Create flood storage in the City’s North Maintenance Facility (NMF) property.
- Replace the NE 195th Street Culvert. This culvert is outside of Shoreline but causes flooding in the City. We will work with the State and Lake Forest Park to get it replaced.
60% design plans for the portion of the project in Shoreline and the portion of the project on Lake Forest Park were completed December 2019. Construction for improvements is not scheduled yet. Funding for the work outside of Shoreline needs to be determined.
Right now we are working on:
- Advancing design.
- Continuing discussions with interested groups. Such groups include neighbors, the general public, utilities, and local, state, and federal regulators and other groups.
- Measuring Ballinger Creek flows (since December 2016).
Completed work includes:
- 25th Ave NE Flood Reduction Project Final Pre-Design Report Vol I Report and Appendices A-G (288 pages, 81.5 MB).
- 25th Ave NE Flood Reduction Project Final Pre-Design Report Vol II Appendices H-Q (612 pages, 35.9 MB).
- Survey and pipe inspections.
- Preliminary hydrologic and hydraulic modeling.
- Draft Critical Areas Report.
- Draft Preliminary Geotechnical Report.
- Early discussions with interested groups.
Overview and History
This project was recommended as a high priority in the Lyon Creek Basin Plan. Our goal is to reduce flooding by improvements to Ballinger Creek, which is currently piped. The project area is along 25th Avenue NE between Brugger’s Bog Park and NE 195th Street.
Since 2001, neighbors and others have reported flooding at least 18 times. Flooding has impacted homes, buildings, yards, driveways, parking, and the 25th Avenue NE roadway and shoulders. Computer models have confirmed actual observations that this area floods about every two years. The most recent major flooding episode was on December 20, 2019, during a large storm event.
Flood plain storage in the City’s North Maintenance Facility (NMF) property will be planned by coordinating with the City Maintenance Facility Project.
Work is currently funded in part by a King County Flood Control District (KCFCD) Flood Reduction Grant as well as the KCFCD Sub-Regional Opportunity Fund.
If you would like to communicate with the City of Shoreline or review a document in another language, please send your request along with your contact information to the email address below or call (206) 801-2700.
您若希望與 Shoreline 市展開交流或 閱讀以其他語言寫成的文檔， 請寄送您的請求及您的連絡資訊至下方所示的電子郵件地址，或撥電話 (206) 801-2700。
쇼어라인시(City of Shoreline)로 연락이요하시거나 문서를 다른 언어로 보시려면 연락 정보와 함께 요청 사항을 아래 이메일로 보내시거나 (206) 801-2700으로 전화해 주십시오.
Nếu quý vị muốn liên lạc với Thành Phố Shoreline hoặc muốn xem một tài liệu bằng ngôn ngữ khác, xin gửi yêu cầu của quý vị cùng với thông tin liên lạc đến địa chỉ email dưới đây hoặc gọi điện thoại số (206) 801-2700.
Si le gustaría comunicarse con la Ciudad de Shoreline o revisar un documento en otro idioma, por favor envíe su solicitud junto con su información de contacto a la dirección de correo electrónico a continuación o llame al (206) 801-2700.
Kung nais niyong makipag-usap sa Lungsod ng Shoreline o rebyuhin ang dokumento sa ibang wika, pakipadala ang inyong kahilingan kasama ang impormasyong pagkokontakan sa inyo sa email address sa ibaba o tawagan ang (206) 801-2700.