King County has moved to Phase 2 of reopening. Learn more:

Information for Shoreline

Shoreline's Public Works Department supports a sustainable and vibrant community through stewardship of our public infrastructure and natural environment.

Quick Links


Frequently Asked Questions

  • What are paint markings on the street in from of my house?

    These usually are a signal of upcoming constructions.  Paint markings of different colors are used to identify locations of a variety of utilities.   These “locates” are required by law prior to doing any digging or excavation to help reduce the risk of damaging or breaking utilities. This protects the underground utility lines and the safety of people who dig near them.

    The digging could be as simple as planting a tree or installing a mailbox; or it could be a significant construction project by a utility company or the City.  Marking of utility locates can be requested by anyone -  homeowners, contractors, utility providers, the City, etc.   There is state wide service for requesting utility locates through Call 811.

    If you’d like more information on Call 811 you can go to

    If you’d like to know if the City is building a capital project near you go to:  Capital Improvement Program Project Map

  • How do I report a non-emergency urgent problem?

Contact our Customer Response Team (CRT). They act as the City's (24 hours/7 days per week) First Responders to emergency issues not requiring Police, Fire or Medical response. Call them at (206) 801-2700.

  • How do I get a permit?

Visit our Permit Information page.