King County is currently in Phase 2 of reopening.

Information for Shoreline

Who needs a general business license?

Shoreline requires all businesses to be licensed with the City if they are:

  • Located within City limits and generating $2,000 or more per year within City limits, or
  • Located outside City limits, but conducting business within City limits and generating $2,000 or more per year within City limits.

Exempt businesses:

  • Businesses that only deliver goods purchased outside of the City.
  • Retail sales at events sponsored by the City or a 501(c)(3) nonprofit that occur six (6) days or less and gross five thousand ($5,000) or less yearly within the City.
  • Recreation instruction or performance service at events sponsored by the City or a 501(c)(3) nonprofit that gross five thousand ($5,000) or less per calendar year within the City.

All business licenses need to be renewed annually through FileLocal, via mail, or in person at City Hall.

How to apply and renew

*Find your City Account Number for renewals*

As of January 1, 2019, the City is no longer affiliated with the State of Washington Department of Revenue Business Licensing Service (DOR BLS). Please file or renew your City business license on FileLocal.

If you would like assistance navigating the FileLocal system, please call FileLocal directly at: 225-215-0052 or 1-877-693-4435, or email

Tips for registering and renewing a currently active license on the FileLocal portal:

  1. You will be required to provide your 16-digit Unified Business Number (UBI) to register on FileLocal.
  2. Once you are registered in FileLocal, you can link your current City business license (if you have one) with a City License Number.
  3. Once you successfully link your FileLocal registration to your current City License Number, a renewal will be pushed out to you through FileLocal if you are renewing a current license. License renewals take 24 hours minimum to be pushed through the system once your account is successfully linked.
  4. You will be able to renew your license through the FileLocal system.

When applying for a new City business license:

  1. You will be required to provide your 16-digit UBI (from DOR) to register on FileLocal.
  2. Follow the prompts to apply for a new City license.

With the transition to FileLocal, business licenses will expire December 31 annually in 2019 and beyond. In 2019 and beyond, all taxpayers will be required to renew their business licenses by December 31 annually.

New applications: If you would like to file by paper, please print and complete the City of Shoreline Business License Application

Renewals: If you would like to renew by paper, please print and complete the Business License Renewal

Who needs a regulatory business license?

The following businesses require a regulatory business license:

Adult Cabarets
Adult Panoramas
Public Dances
Regulated Massage Businesses
Secondhand Dealers
Solicitors - Registered Solicitors

It is important to note that some activities require criminal background investigations, zoning/land use approval, and review by the Fire Marshal when a license is issued, transferred or renewed.

For more information and to obtain a license for a regulated business, contact the City Clerk's Office.