What makes Shoreline and its residents healthy? Obesity and its related diseases, such as diabetes, have significant impacts on the health of many communities in Washington and across the nation. However, through years of research the elements of a healthy community are well understood. They include:
1. Having access to and eating healthy foods:
- Shoreline Farmers Market, open mid-June through early October
- Cooking and healthy eating classes available through the Parks, Recreation and Cultural Services (Recreation Guide)
- Community Gardens at Twin Ponds Park and Sunset School Park
- Funding for Meals on Wheels program
- Funding for "lunches for seniors" program at the Shoreline-Lake Forest Park Senior Center
- Funding for Hopelink to provide nutritious food at the local food bank.
2. Getting enough exercise:
- Kids Move Challenge - A summer activity challenge for Shoreline's kids
- Million STEP Challenge - During the month of May, residents are challenged to log one million steps around the path at Paramount Park
- Million STAIR Challenge - Residents are challenged to log three million steps on the stairs at Richmond Beach Saltwater Park in the month of June
- Monster Mash Dash 5k - An annual costumed 5k and family fun run/walk along the Interurban Trail. Monster Mash Dash takes place in October.
- Recreation guide listing all currents classes, recreation and aquatic programs
- Shoreline Walks - a volunteer-led community walking program for active adults
- Shoreline parks
- Shoreline Pool
- Athletic field rental/reservation
- Pool and gymnasium rental/reservation
- Bike lane map
3. Physically building a community that supports residents’ exercise and walking:
4. Well-organized partnerships between community organizations that promote and provide for healthy lifestyle choices. Partner organizations:
- Dale Turner Family Y
- Shoreline Public Schools
- Public Health: Seattle and King County
- Shoreline Farmer's Market Organization
- Shoreline-Lake Forest Park Senior Center
- Shoreline Fire Department
- The Center for Human Services
In 2010, the City Council asked staff to develop a Healthy City Strategy. The Healthy City Strategy highlights the efforts and investments being made by the City of Shoreline and by partner organizations to further the City's Healthy City goal. The Strategy outlines a work plan of specific activities and partnerships the City will undertake to support Shoreline residents in becoming healthier.
If you would like to communicate with the City of Shoreline or review a document in another language, please send your request along with your contact information to the email address below or call (206) 801-2700.
您若希望與 Shoreline 市展開交流或 閱讀以其他語言寫成的文檔， 請寄送您的請求及您的連絡資訊至下方所示的電子郵件地址，或撥電話 (206) 801-2700。
쇼어라인시(City of Shoreline)로 연락이요하시거나 문서를 다른 언어로 보시려면 연락 정보와 함께 요청 사항을 아래 이메일로 보내시거나 (206) 801-2700으로 전화해 주십시오.
Nếu quý vị muốn liên lạc với Thành Phố Shoreline hoặc muốn xem một tài liệu bằng ngôn ngữ khác, xin gửi yêu cầu của quý vị cùng với thông tin liên lạc đến địa chỉ email dưới đây hoặc gọi điện thoại số (206) 801-2700.
Si le gustaría comunicarse con la Ciudad de Shoreline o revisar un documento en otro idioma, por favor envíe su solicitud junto con su información de contacto a la dirección de correo electrónico a continuación o llame al (206) 801-2700.
Kung nais niyong makipag-usap sa Lungsod ng Shoreline o rebyuhin ang dokumento sa ibang wika, pakipadala ang inyong kahilingan kasama ang impormasyong pagkokontakan sa inyo sa email address sa ibaba o tawagan ang (206) 801-2700.