As of December 2019
Phase: Advertised for Bids
This project will construct roadway improvements at the intersection of Westminster Way N and N 155th Street. Improvements are needed to provide a safer intersection for all users and to support redevelopment of the Shoreline Place Community Renewal Area (CRA) and adjacent properties. We expect an increased number of pedestrians and bicyclists in this area and the improved intersection will help everyone move through safely. The improved intersection will also enhance the flow of traffic and support projected traffic volumes.
Overview of Roadway and Intersection Improvements
- New traffic signal
- Revised intersection geometry and lane configuration
- New asphalt roadway surface
- New pedestrian facilities (sidewalks, curb ramps, crosswalks)
- New roadway illumination system
- New landscaping
- Utility work
- Safety and mobility of pedestrians, bicyclists, and drivers
- Provide economic development potential
- Enhance the livability and walkability of adjacent neighborhoods and properties, including the Shoreline Place CRA
The construction contract will be awarded in January 2020.
Project Updates will be posted here.
- Construction: Spring 2020 to Fall 2020
In 2012, Shoreline City Council designated a 70-acre area around the Sears, Central Market, and Washington Department of Transportation (WSDOT) offices as the Aurora Square Community Renewal Area (CRA). By designating the CRA, Council established that economic renewal is in the public interest and that City resources are appropriately utilized to encourage economic renewal. Council took the next step in the CRA process when it adopted a CRA Renewal Plan (2013) to guide the City’s renewal efforts. The Aurora Square CRA Renewal Plan is a conceptual master planning document that identifies several City-initiated projects that are designed to make current businesses function better and to prepare for redevelopment of CRA properties. The plan includes 10 specific projects.
“Transform Westminster” is the first project mentioned in the CRA project list. The vision for this project provides the concept to move forward with the City’s roadway and intersection improvements project.
- City staff met with representatives from impacted businesses on September 24th, 2019
- Project post card notifications were sent out to business owners on September 3rd, 2019
- A project Open House was held on February 28th, 2018
- The Open House was well attended by the public. Conceptual design of roadway improvements were presented, including a Question and Answer session, and public comment.