As of April 2020
The City has begun construction of the Westminster Way N and N 155th Street Intersection Improvements Project. The project will reconstruct the intersection of Westminster Way N and N 155th Street, adding a new traffic signal, new lane configuration, new pedestrian facilities and utility work. Improvements are required to provide a safer intersection for all users and to support redevelopment of the Shoreline Place Community Renewal Area (CRA) and adjacent properties. We expect an increased number of pedestrians and bicyclists in this area and the improved intersection will help everyone move through safely. The improved intersection will also enhance the flow of traffic and support projected traffic volumes.
Overview of Roadway and Intersection Improvements
- New traffic signal
- Revised intersection geometry and lane configuration
- New asphalt roadway surface
- New pedestrian facilities (sidewalks, curb ramps, crosswalks)
- New roadway illumination system
- New landscaping
- New storm drain system
- New sanitary sewer line
- Extension of existing water main
- New water service connections to existing water main
- Other dry utility work (Joint Utility Trench (JUT) work)
- Safety and mobility of pedestrians, bicyclists, and drivers
- Provide economic development potential
- Enhance the livability and walkability of adjacent neighborhoods and properties, including the Shoreline Place CRA
The City’s contractor is currently working on utility infrastructure phase of the project. The primary focus of the utility work has been the installation of a new, deep storm drain line, new sanitary sewer line, water system work, and construction of a Joint Utility Trench (JUT). Much of this work will continue to take place along Westminster Way N, between N 155th Street and Aurora Avenue N. Portions of the JUT work will bring construction activities into the intersection of Westminster Way N and N 155th Street. Construction will require temporary revisions to travel lanes at the intersection. These revisions are expected to take place at the beginning of April.
Access to the businesses in the Aurora Square Shopping Center will be maintained throughout construction activities. Early construction activities (March 2020 – May 2020) will be focused on utility infrastructure along Westminster Way N between N 155th Street and Aurora Avenue N. The majority of early construction will take place in the portion of Westminster Way N that has been continually closed for several months. However, the utility work extends into the driveway at the northern end of Aurora Square (closest to Aurora Avenue N). In reviewing the contractors schedule and use of the driveway, the City has determined that this driveway needs to be closed for the utility phase of this project. The safety of Aurora Square customers and employees is part of the reason for the closure. This closure is expected to last through May 2020. After this time, intermittent closures may be required for re-construction of the driveway.
As part of this closure, roadway signage will be provided to inform the public that business access will remain open from the driveways along N 160th Street and N 155th Street.
- Construction: Spring 2020 to Fall 2020
In 2012, Shoreline City Council designated a 70-acre area around the Sears, Central Market, and Washington Department of Transportation (WSDOT) offices as the Aurora Square Community Renewal Area (CRA). By designating the CRA, Council established that economic renewal is in the public interest and that City resources are appropriately utilized to encourage economic renewal. Council took the next step in the CRA process when it adopted a CRA Renewal Plan (2013) to guide the City’s renewal efforts. The Aurora Square CRA Renewal Plan is a conceptual master planning document that identifies several City-initiated projects that are designed to make current businesses function better and to prepare for redevelopment of CRA properties. The plan includes 10 specific projects.
“Transform Westminster” is the first project mentioned in the CRA project list. The vision for this project provides the concept to move forward with the City’s roadway and intersection improvements project.
- City staff met with representatives from impacted businesses on September 24th, 2019
- Project post card notifications were sent out to business owners on September 3rd, 2019
- A project Open House was held on February 28th, 2018
- The Open House was well attended by the public. Conceptual design of roadway improvements were presented, including a Question and Answer session, and public comment.