As of May 2018
Construction is underway!
Work started at the end of April. It will take about a month of dry weather to complete construction. The contractor will complete segments of the project as weather allows.
Work is starting on the west end of the project at 24th Ave NW. The contractor will maintain reasonable access to driveways and side streets. Lane closures will only be allowed between 9am and 7pm for eastbound traffic, and between 7am and 3pm for westbound traffic.
We are also working on the before and after study. The before data is being compiled, and after data will be gathered next winter and spring. A report will be published in fall 2019 showing the preliminary results. The report will be tracking:
- Traffic Speeds
- Traffic Volumes
- Traffic Diversion (cut through traffic on nearby residential streets)
- Travel Times
- Emergency Response Times
- Bus Travel Times
Project updates will be posted here and sent out to the project’s contact list. Email us if you want to be added to the contact list.
2nd Open House - October 12, 2017
There was an open house to share the updated design, answer questions, and give people a chance to comment on the plan. You can view the meeting materials below:
- Video of October staff presentation Part one and Part two or October presentation slides
- October display boards
- West Roll Plot – 60% Design (24th Ave NW to 15th Ave NW)
- Central Roll Plot – 60% Design (15th Ave NW to 8th Ave NW)
- East Roll Plot – 60% Design (8th Ave NW to Dayton Ave N)
- Video of October Group Question and Answer Session Part one, Part two, Part 3
- Design Complete: Winter 2017
- Contracting: Early 2018
- Construction: Spring 2018
The striping on Richmond Beach Road between 24th Ave NW and Dayton Ave N is changing. Instead of having 2 lanes in each direction, there will be 1 lane in each direction, a center turn lane, and bike lanes.
This project is addressing safety issues. Richmond Beach Road has a history of collisions, including two high collision locations from the City’s 2016 Annual Traffic Report:
• 3rd Ave NW and NW Richmond Beach Road intersection
• NW Richmond Beach Road between 3rd Ave NW and 8th Ave NW
High collision locations have higher rates of injury collisions than other roads or intersections in Shoreline. The striping change should improve safety while still allowing traffic to flow.
Example proposed cross-section
There was an open house at the beginning of design to share information, receive feedback on different options, and address peoples’ questions and concerns about the project. You can view the meeting materials below:
- Video of June staff presentation
- June Display boards
- West Roll Plot - 10% Design (24th Ave NW to 15th Ave NW)
- Central Roll Plot - 10% Design (15th Ave NW to 8th Ave NW)
- East Roll Plot - 10% Design (8th Ave NW to Dayton Ave N)
- Video of June Group Question and Answer session
In 2016 City Council approved the rechannelization as part of the 2017-2022 CIP.