In residential areas, if you or a group of residents desire a new street light installed on a public street, start by submitting a request form (below) to the City.
If the street light can be installed on an existing Seattle City Light (SCL) power pole, there will be no costs to residents.
All new lights in residential areas will first require the approval of the City Traffic Engineer, then approved by all residents within an approximate 100-foot radius of the proposed light location. In the instance that approval is denied by a single resident, installation of the light will be at the City Traffic Engineer’s discretion. Once the light is installed, the ongoing monthly operating cost of the light is paid by the City of Shoreline.
Multiple light requests require completed Request and Petition Forms for each light requested.
Procedure and Submittal Requirements
- Determine location for new light on an existing SCL pole. The new location should be at least 300 feet from another street light. A new light should not be on a pole next to a pole with an existing light.
- Locate the 7 digit pole number on the yellow tag attached to the pole.
- Submit an online Request Form (below) for a street light, wait for the City of Shoreline’s approval via email.
- Once approved by the City, talk to neighbors to obtain agreement for installation, fill out a Petition Form and obtain signatures of all neighbors within 100 feet of the proposed light.
- Include a sketch showing the location of the proposed street light and the locations of the residences within 100 feet of the proposed street light.
- Submit Petition Letter and Sketch:
Email to: Quang Nguyen (email@example.com)
Or mail to:
Traffic Services – Street Light Request
17500 Midvale Ave N
Shoreline, WA 98133
City Traffic Services staff will then verify information and add the request to the “Approved Installation List.” The City sends 10 requests to Seattle City Light to install at the end of each year.
After authorization is given to Seattle City Light, installation typically takes 6-12 months to be completed.