Spill Response Program
The City provides spill response to help prevent pollution of our local waterways. Residents or businesses that cause a spill or other release of pollutants (such as car wash water, paint, oil or gas) into the drainage system or water body are required by law to report it within 24 hours of discovery.
Report spills at any time or day by calling the City's Customer Response Team at (206) 801-2700. When reporting a spill, please provide:
- material that spilled
- estimated volume of material that spilled
- your contact information
- exact address or cross streets of the spill
- an initial assessment of the situation (have any drains been impacted)
- what time it happened or when you first observed the spill
Learn how to properly clean up a spill:
- Spill Clean Up Procedures (PDF)
- Spill Best Practices (Word Document)
- How to clean up a spill (training video)
Most spills are preventable. Having a spill plan helps your business prevent and respond to spills effectively. Use this template to create a spill plan:
If you are a Shoreline business, you may qualify for a free spill kit and help in developing a spill plan. Visit the Small Business Assistance Program page to learn more.