What is the goal of this project?
This project will produce updated Development Code design standards for new single-family attached development, which is a term that includes townhouses, duplexes, and rowhouses. For brevity, the term “townhouse” will be used for this project. Code standards can determine where the buildings and their entries are placed on the site; how a site is accessed by vehicles and pedestrians; where garbage and recycling is placed for collection; how the site is landscaped or screened; and what the buildings will look like.
Why are design standards for townhouses important?
In recent years the City of Shoreline has experienced increasing demand for townhouses. The current design standards are generalized. Building and site design may be improved with standards that are specific to townhouse development. While the increase in new townhouses constructed helps to expand housing choice within the city, it is important that these developments be appropriately designed to ensure both functional and desirable places to live. This project will play a central role in implementing the vision of connected and well-designed communities near transit.
What is the timeline for this project?
Ordinance No. 871 was adopted on January 6, 2020 and was effective starting January 14, 2020. This concluded a year-long code rewrite process.
How can I get involved and provide input on this project?
- An online survey was conducted April 2019. See the results summary and full survey results.
- A public workshop took place on August 1, 2019. See the presentation and materials presented.
- A study session was held by the Planning commission on August 1, 2019. See the presentation.
- A study session was held by the Planning commission on September 5, 2019. See the presentation.
- A public hearing was held by the Planning commission on October 3, 2019. See the presentation. The staff report, draft code and public comments are available on the Planning commission webpage.
- The City Council discussed this item at it's November 25, 2019 meeting. See the presentation. The staff report and draft code are available here.
- The City Council adopted Ordinance No. 871 at its January 6, 2020 meeting.
Will this project change how townhouses look in the City of Shoreline?
Yes! This is an opportunity to ensure townhomes being constructed build on Shoreline’s reputation as a desirable community.
Will this project increase or decrease the number of townhouses allowed on a property?
No. Minimum and maximum densities are based on the zoning district a property is located within. Site design elements that will be discussed as part of this project, such as access and building placement, may ultimately impact the number of townhome units that can fit on a property, but a direct discussion about density minimums and maximums will not be included in this work.