Changes effective January 1, 2019
We want to make you aware of important updates and changes that may apply to your business effective January 1, 2019.
- Existing business license renewals occurring between January–June will pay $40, those occurring July-December will pay $20. Business licenses renewed in 2019 will expire on December 31, 2019. Renewals in 2020 and beyond will be $40, and will be active for a calendar year, expiring on December 31 of each year.
- Only persons or businesses that generate $2,000 or more per year within city limits must renew and obtain a business license to engage in business within Shoreline. This change allows the City to comply with new State Law and maintain consistency for all businesses. For more information please refer to Shoreline Municipal Code 5.05.
- New business registrations will be semi-annually prorated; $40 if applied for from January-June, and $20 if applied for from July-December.
- Taxpayers who are required to register or renew before December 24, 2018, please visit: Department of Revenue Business Licensing Service (DOR BLS). After December 24, 2018, DOR BLS will stop accepting and processing business license applications and renewals for Shoreline in anticipation of our transition to FileLocal, effective January 1, 2019. You can choose to apply/renew a license before December 24, 2018 on DOR BLS or wait until January 1, 2019 to register or renew on FileLocal. For more information, please visit the Business Licenses page.
- Business & Occupation (B&O) Tax becomes effective in Shoreline. Businesses generating gross receipts of $500,000 per-year (or $125,000 per quarter) except 501(C)(3) non-profits will be subject to the tax.
- The City of Shoreline will begin to use a combined tax form for B&O Tax, Utility Tax and Gambling Tax.
- To support the implementation of these changes, the City of Shoreline will partner with FileLocal as its taxpayer portal that allows users to transact business with multiple cities in one virtual location.
- The City will be transitioning from the Department of Revenue Business Licensing System to FileLocal for new business license registrations, existing business license renewals and B&O tax filing.